Academic Coach: Biology, Microbiology and Anatomy
At the Academic Success Center (ASC), the Academic Coach – Biology/Microbiology/Anatomy professional tutor will conduct tutoring sessions one-on-one as well as in group sessions with students taking Biology, Microbiology and Anatomy classes through traditional face-to-face courses on campus, guided studies and on-line classes. Professional tutors will have the ability to work with a wide range of student learning styles, needs and skill levels, as well as diverse backgrounds. Additionally, the Academic Coach: Biology/Microbiology/Anatomy professional tutor will work directly with the ASC Coordinator and with the peer tutor supervisor to provide training to peer tutors that leads to student success in Biology, Microbiology and Anatomy fields.
- Provide individual and/or small group tutoring to students in Biology/Microbiology/Anatomy courses according to a posted schedule and in approved subjects;
- Collaborate with instructors and peer tutor coordinators to determine the learning needs of students and the tutoring approach preferred by the course instructor;
- Facilitate learning in order to assist students in improving academic achievement by identifying learning problems and developing strategies to address those challenges;
- Cooperate with ASC Coordinator, Peer Tutor Coordinators and ASC Assistant on the development, piloting, and implementation of training programs designed to assist peer tutors in understanding principles of delivering effective tutor sessions in Biology, Microbiology and Anatomy;
- Daily, maintain appropriate records of tutoring sessions through hand-written tutoring reports and scheduling appointments in google docs;
- Update and consult the ASC coordinator with student’s progress and making other academic referrals for students to other appropriate college resources;
- Consult with the ASC Assistant dialing on scheduling or canceling appointments;
- Become familiar with the required technology utilized in each class from MyDC3web to specific software required in each class;
- Participate in professional development offerings at DC3;
- Act as a representative for the Academic Success Center within the college community; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology/Microbiology/Anatomy or related field;
- Strong communication, instructional, and organizational skills;
- Training/certification in Biology/Microbiology/Anatomy instruction; and
- Experience working with Hispanic, “high-risk”, and underprepared students.
- Working knowledge of the internet, email, and computer skills in Microsoft Office.
- Master’s Degree in Biology/Microbiology/Anatomy or closely related field;
- Bilingual skills (English/Spanish);
- Experience teaching English language learners;
- Experience teaching adults and/or students in the community college setting; and
- A valid Kansas driver’s license.
Applications accepted until position is filled. Application package consists of DCCC application, resume, cover letter/letter of interest, and unofficial copies of transcripts.
For more information, contact:
Office of Human Resources
Dodge City Community College
2501 N. 14th Avenue
Dodge City, KS 67801-2399