Apply to Dodge City Community College!
Request an Airport Shuttle to Dodge City Community College!

DC3 News

DC3 News

DC3 News

Two DC3 Students to Attend RiPS Program at KSU

Apr 04, 2017

Dodge City, KAN - Two students from Dodge City Community College, Carmen Del Real and Vanessa Hernandez, were accepted to this summer’s Research Immersion: Pathways to STEM (RiPS) camp at Kansas State University. The program is an 8-week research program offered by the Kansas Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation. The program provides professional preparation for students who are underrepresented in the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics fields. Those attending will be able to conduct their own independent research project, with the guidance of a mentor. Camp-goers will also participate in organized social events as well as be given the opportunity to network with those in their field of study and become familiar with the Kansas State University campus.

RiPS is open to students who have completed at least one year at their community college and plan to transfer to KSU or current students at KSU that attended Dodge City Community College, Donnelly College, Garden City Community College, or Seward Community College. Those accepted receive housing and meals throughout their stay as well as a $3,000.00 scholarship.

“This a great opportunity for me to learn from other people who will help me gain knowledge I will use in my future profession,” stated Vanessa Hernandez. Hernandez will receive her Associate of Science degree from DC3 in the spring of 2018. She ultimately plans to go on to pursue her doctorate in dentistry. While at DC3, Hernandez has been a member of student organizations HALO, Latino Leaders, STEM Club, Student Senate, and Phi Theta Kappa.

Carmen Del Real, fellow RiPS participant, stated, “I knew I wanted to take care of people, but wasn’t sure to what extent or how far I was willing to push myself. It wasn’t until Spring 2016 when I knew I would make it my goal to become a surgeon. The RiPS will increase my awareness of primary academic subjects, a sharp view of what medical research consists of, and will strengthen my confidence to move beyond community college.” Del Real will graduate from DC3 this spring, 2017, as the first college graduate on her mother’s side of the family. She currently tutors at the DC3 Academic Success Center, volunteers as a Student Athletic Trainer, and is a part of the Mentor Committee.

Carmen Del Real

Vanessa Hernandez